Did you know that BACKUPS are the second most important thing you can do with your valuable data? The most important being to create it in the first place!
It is every bit as essential as having the correct business insurance policies, and should be viewed in this light. If you never need to claim on your fire insurance, you wont be disappointed; but if you do, you'll think the insurance premium was an absolute bargain.
IT Leaders can recommend a backup solution to suit your business:
- Basic $100 to $500 external hard drives in a backup series and/or with multiple drive (RAID) protection.
- Online backup solution, that backs up your data each night over the Internet to our secure backup server.
- Network Attached Storage (NAS), Storage Area Networks (SAN) for large data volume or fast data access needs.
- High quality automated tape solutions (beware cheap tape drives as they are not reliable)
- More complex needs such as multi-site complete data replication with robust disaster recovery designs.
See our catalog of backup options here or get educated on a few options below.
IT Leaders has an Online Backup service which is an excellent second line of defense backup system for your business.
One issue we come across recently is that many businesses struggle to reliably take regular copies of their backups offsite. Unless there is an offsite backup, the business is at risk of complete failure if a disaster happens like fire or theft. Business owners & managers have good intentions to take their last tape or last hard drive offsite each night or week, HOWEVER, often it gets forgotten and is therefore ineffective and a significant business risk.
Online Backup bridges this gap by having a secure, offsite backup system. Unlike other providers, we monitor your backup daily for failures, and also have our data centre locally for fastest business recovery in the event of a disaster.
Getting Started With a Backup System
If you would like to make a head start on planning a backup system, there are some primary considerations below. For more indepth information, read this article written by IT Leaders for National Accountant Magazine which goes into greater detail on why and how to implement a backup system.
1. Identify the value and location of the exact data which needs to be protected. This usually includes documents, databases, email, and specific client data.
2. Have multiple levels of protection, ideally have a RAID system on your server to prevent a single hard drive failure causing data loss, AND have a local backup system that protects all data against file deletion/corruption, AND have an offsite backup that protects against disasters like fire and theft.
3. Ensure that your backup system has multiple fall back points in time (to protect against accidental deletion), and has a recent offsite copy of the data which is updated regularly.
4. Check the system regularly to ensure that you can restore data accurately by doing a test restore of data. Your backup system is only as good as the last time it was tested.
5. Incorporate your redundancy strategy into a larger disaster recovery plan for your entire business.
If you don't have to knowledge to do this for your business, then get IT Leaders to analyse your current system and advise you. (contact us)
Disaster Prevention & Recovery
Backup systems should be part of your business's broader disaster recovery strategy.
Your business may also have critical pieces of equipment which, if they fail, will cause the business to standstill. Sometimes there can be a significiant lead time for such equipment, so large parts of your business may suffer for days while sourcing replacement parts, and/or committ you to an immediate very expensive complete system rebuild because waiting for parts is not an option or parts are not available.
IT Leaders can help you do an assessment of the value of such equipment failure, to determine if it is worth having spare criitical components on hand. In many cases we can 'rent' you the availability of such equipment, where we charge you a resonable monthly fee to keep this equipment permanently on hand for you. Just another insurance policy we offer.
Hopefully you're not reading this page because you have just lost 5 years worth of financial data in a hard drive crash. However, if that IS the case (or something similar) then we can help.
IT Leaders has fast-response data recovery services. At our branch locations we can run hard drive diagnostics and perform Level 1 data recovery on drives with minimal damage, or for accidental file deletions.
If the drive has sustained significant damage, then we have at our disposal the best data forensics lab in Brisbane. Combined we have a data recovery success rate of over 90%.
Please don't delay, and DO NOT attempt data recovery yourself as there is a very real danger of destroying data permanently if you don'tknow what you are doing, call us immediately if you need data recovery services. If you need asssistance or advice outside of business hours, click the banner link below to be taken to our partner lab, CBL. They have a call centre manned 24 hours a day - mention IT Leaders for priority service.
If you need immediate after hours help, click on this link to go to the CBL website: Data Recovery Services. Lodge your request then call them immediately.